Monday, November 22, 2010

The Art of Art

I've tried several times to write this month and have been unable to do so...I think, for the most part, it is due to this month feeling like one big virus.  While getting over this cold for the past two to three weeks...the best of thoughts and most busy of hands don't see to come to be quite as frequently.

Thankfully, some inspiration over the weekend is compelling me to write and take note and stop being so lazy...I saw the play, 'ART' on Saturday night.  I was visiting London when this play premiered.  I remember seeing the marquee and wondering about it...but I knew, basically, nothing except the title per the marquee.  Looking back, I would have liked to take the risk to see it. 

I feel that, like many forms of art we attend, cinematic, in play form, music, or otherwise, we tend to take something from it.  It may be a new dance or a funny quote.  For this play, for me, I saw a few things...some were more tangible than others.  I suppose, on a personal note, I tended to be guided toward the play as a whole...what live theatre is and how it is, indeed, an art.  Many times, throughout the many years I've been a songwriter and had a band...I question why I am doing what I am doing.  Why do you take the time to compose a song, perform it in front of others, record, bare soul, etc.  I need reminders as to why we do the things we do.  Money, quite certainly, isn't the answer, because if it was I would'nt have to think about this nearly this much and/or have to dedicate a paragraph or two about the subject.  Still, I think I do it for the love of the art.  It is self-satisfying and, really, others appreciating that and being supportive is a huge plus.  I don't think I would be the same without it.  And, to me, there is more to it that constant recognition.  I believe I thrive on the recognition and it doesn't hurt to have it but it should'nt be expected.

I'm not sure if the play wanted the audience to come away with any of that...but it did for me.  On a more concrete level...there was a theme of friendship throughout the play.  Why our friends are so important to us and how, often, we don't acknowledge that or share our feelings about it with our friends at all.  Our judgements may be, for whatever reason... I think, especially in times that aren't common and everyday...we tend to find the best in our friends and our friends find the best in us.  The past several months have been rather so-so for me and I've been in this flux of not-so-sure-I-am-where-I-want-to-be and, I feel, my true friends have shown through everything to show me how much they just care about me...which is nice to know.  I think the play focuses on three such friends.  Also, as difficult as it can be to reveal our vulnerabilities and weaknesses, at times, we don't have a choice and the choice we make can prove to be so much more helpful.  I enjoyed the dialouge filled with laughs, bickering, pleasant chat, disagreements, and admirable descent... There was a lot of humanity in the script and the three actors worked so well together to clearly portray and adapt this to the stage.  I was happy to be able to see it.  It isn't always that art feels transcendent and maybe it is my high expectations to make it so...however, fantastic when it does...

No comments:

Post a Comment