Monday, November 8, 2010

Pup Penny

So, I got pup Penny the weekend my mom died.  It was this moment when you figure out that you need to stop waiting for the right time to make a decision.  There never seemed to be the right time for a puppy.  I lived in an apartment, I couldn't afford to take care of a puppy, I didn't have the time...whatever the excuses used in the past were thrown out the window.  I have referred to her in the past as, 'the right dog at the right time.' This is true.  She was quite a distraction and really just what I needed, at the time...then and for many other reasons. 

And, it is this time I year I think about my mom's passing because it was this time of year when it happened.  I'm not able to not think about it but, at the same time, I don't think I should not think about it and remember her.  Something more difficult is remembering her condition at this time because she was certainly not herself.  She was in hospice care and confined to a hospital bed in my parent's house. 

I had this dog.  She had to be financed.  She was an expensive dog.  She was worth every penny, somewhat where the name came from...although her middle name being "Lane" reflective of the Beatles song seems somewhat more cool.  Either way, she was going to be pup Penny. 

She is 10 years old now, which is also a reminder of how long my mom has been gone.  Penny still an amazing dog who has a spunky spirit and this human-like nature...it is almost surreal.  She is the smartest dog I've ever had...and, I know, I've cried with her and it was like she totally understood.  Dogs are so wonderful that way...what they can sense and how they know just the right time to come by and lay down in your lap (which, coincidentally or not, is what she is doing right now...)

This is for pup Penny.

No comments:

Post a Comment