Sunday, October 10, 2010

Halloween City ((Beep Beep!))

I like Halloween.  I don't love it but I do like it a lot and I do mean on the strong side of "like."  I don't go overboard with it but I think it is still fun to dress up and eat candy and live do as we do to be festive.  I like the holiday better than some of its more popular, more reputable cousins, for example, like Thanksgiving and Christmas.  It is a silly holiday and a time to just have fun.

I spent this afternoon on a costume shopping spree.  The spree lasted for 2 Halloween stores.  Amazing, because, I don't remember entire stores being dedicated to Halloween until, maybe, a few years ago.  This Halloween thing has really taken off!  Actually, I think it has morphed into something adults indulge in more than before or maybe there are more opportunities to partake or...maybe I'm looking for excuses.  Basically, its a racket.  When I was checking out at one Halloween store and I noticed my total on the receipt was $45, I wasn't amused.  In fact, I made a little "Hrmmm" sound when the total was read to me per Halloween cashier.  We spent some time collectively itemizing the list and attempting to make math make sense (btw, that is why I don't like math because it always makes sense and there are very few ways to skew facts.  Words are far more easy to manipulate therefore making math frustrating and not at all poetic.)  So, there we were making sense of every penny of the $45 spent at the Halloween store.

Wings, check
Eyelashes, check
Bug-eyed sunglasses, check (hey, I might use these later for real life too, totally cute)
Press-on black fingernails, check
Fake cigarettes, check
Pink flapper beads, check

I think that was it.  That isn't a lot.  It adds up.  The thing is, as much as I do "like" Halloween, I don't love the scary aspect.  Okay, I like the scary aspect to a very manageable degree.  I walked around the Halloween store a little afraid something was going to jump out at me.  Still, we should all be more scared, as consumers, at the way the Halloween stores come in and out of town like a carnival.  Where's the Tilt-A-Whirl?

I decided, this year, I wanted to be something with wings.  I wasn't sure what type of thing with wings but just something that required wings.  After some talk at work, it was determined I would be a Barfly.  This would be a spin on the Barfly as it is fusing the literal with the figurative, etc.  This should explain everything on the list above.  The flapper beads, for twirling around and the fake cigarette, of course, for smoking.  I'm not really good at smoking for real so...this is better and healthier.

I went across the street to another Halloween store.  This was Halloween City.  I feel like someone should say "Beep Beep!" after saying Halloween City...There is one Halloween store that faces another, this is very Starbuckian, if you will.  I went to the second Halloween store and glanced over the wing selection.  My wings look very much "fairy" and not so much "fly."  Still, the wing selection at Halloween City ((Beep Beep)) wasn't better.  I did, however, find antennae...it was a steal at $1.07 and my favorite Halloween-related purchase of the day.  I bought the antennae and the cashier complimented me on my skirt.  Awwwe.  Flattery gets you everywhere and I therefore dub Halloween City as the best Halloween store in town.

Later, speaking of Starbuckian, I meet up with Stephanie at Starbucks for something cold, iced, and chocolately.  When ordering the cashier compliments me on my skirt.  That's two times in one day (and potentially two times in the same hour at 2 separate establishments, I like this town.)  The Starbucks cashier, however, throws in a high-five with his compliment as soon as I thank him and mention it was a 2-fer.  He's impressed and we suddenly high-five'd mid-Sunday afternoon while the rest of Starbucks briefly looks up from whatever electronic device he/she was previously staring at...it was a nice moment.

I'm still considering names for whatever it is I am going to be for Halloween.  I am taking suggestions.  Currently, I have collected the following:

Drinkerbell
Tinkerbar
Bar Fairy

No comments:

Post a Comment