Thursday, October 7, 2010

No Rain

I'm driving home today and heard Blind Melon's "No Rain" on the radio.  Of course, music is one of the chronological memory mental scrap books of all time and I recall working at my first job.  At least, I think it was my first job.  I didn't have to work until college and, even then, I tried to choose the most cushy and convenient thing I could do.  My mom was somewhat against me getting a job in high school.  She would often tell my dad that 'just getting through high school was hard enough.'  How true and, really, carrying a B-ish average AND having time to socialize with friends?  This is asking a lot ;)  Actually, I feel fortunate to have been so lucky, in some ways...and in other ways I feel like I missed some opportunities to grow up a little bit faster (this is likely the crux of my mom's reasoning, truth be told...)

So, my first job was delivering the university newspaper as a college freshman.  I am still not sure how I got this job.  From what I remember, I was friends with a girl who was totally into the guy who was totally into me.  The three of us decided to pursue this newspaper delivering gig.  (sidenote: the guy who was totally into me wound up being my boyfriend several days, maybe hours, after the three of us got this job....no wonder friends get mad at me...) We delivered the school paper all around campus and then off campus, depending on who was assigned what route.  Ryan and I would try to take the same route so we could hang out and listen to the radio in the campus car and deliver papers, of course.  I don't actually remember physically delivering the papers either...hmmm I think I went along for the car ride...and now, while reflecting, thinking it may have been the best job ever.

Back to the song.  I remember driving around campus and "No Rain" was on the radio.  We both sang it and Ryan did the shaky hands thing that Shannon Hoon did in the video.  I hear the song and think of this moment.  It isn't a fondness for a former boyfriend (who I, perhaps, swiped from my friend who got me my first job, eek) but, moreso just the moment of driving and "working" and the experience.

This differs, however, from my other Blind Melon memory where I stood outside Mississippi Nights waiting to see them play.  This was an invitation from the girl who was totally into the guy I was dating (see, it wasn't that bad she got over it) and we waited and waited and waited outside the venue to get in.  I remember just standing in line and talking to everyone in our little group, other people in line, cars stopping by to see who was playing...that sort of thing.  I remember hearing the opening riff to "No Rain"...from outside the building and knowing...we were never getting in.  Yea, being under 21 means you get in last...if at all.  We never got in.  But...I still like the song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYJxiGiZfYA

No comments:

Post a Comment