Sunday, October 31, 2010

Take These Broken Wings

This week truly flew by, I wasn't able to keep up with it.  In fact, on Wednesday morning, I overslept.  I didn't set the alarm and my internal clock, which normally is obnoxiously prompt, malfunctioned.  I quickly found something to wear, put a headband around the hair, and went out the door, minus coffee a shower and a wallet, in order to make it to work on time.

The minus a shower and coffee was purposeful, I knew I had to cut corners to be punctual.  Not having the wallet with me, however, was not something I intended.  I walked in to get coffee once arriving at work, went up to the counter, looked into my purse and said, "I don't have any money."  The cashier was very kind and said 'that has happened to me before' which is code for 'that has never really happened to be ever, still showing empathy for your situation would be the nicer thing to do considering the embarrased look you have on your face.'  She wrote me a good old fashioned 'IOU' and let me go with my coffee..  As I walked away some woman behind me says loudly, 'is something wrong with the cash register?  Why did you write her an IOU, what happened?'  The cashier repeats our incident and they both laugh.  Ugh, thinking a PA announcement throughout the company would have been just as suiting.  I left without any stop for coffee cream and just chalked it up to an average mistake I would correct over lunch.

The evening before was the Halloween tweetup at Medici.  It was fun and I even shopped for a costume ahead of time.  This would be the barfly/Drinkerbell costume mentioned in earlier blog entries... I thought it went over well.  I loved the wings but they are difficult to manuever in most situations proving why, most certainly, humans, should not have wings...or do we deserver them.  I came to the conclusion, if you want to make any activity more challenging...put on wings.  Basically, since these wings are for aesthetic purposes and have zero function otherwise, they are just an extra appendange that are just slightly bothersome...and even moreso bothersome to others who encounter them, ie. passers by.  So, standing and talking with the group, I noticed, over and over, the wings were being run into by people moving throughout the bar.  Sometimes laughing and sometimes apologizing, it was clear I should've moved to find a safer location.  Instead I stayed and, sure enoughm a server with a tray of drinking glasses came by and connected with a curvy part of the left wing.  It was hooked and shifted as he walked further away.  It felt like I was going with him and the wing gave way before I stumbled down to the floor..thankfully.  The wing broke off right from the center.  It was a clean brake, but I could tell from the levity of the wings something was wrong and it was possible they were indeed broken.  I don't think I was even there for an hour when this happened therefore making the wings a quick and delicate prop.  Still, the wings then sat on a stool at a table and conversations went in and out of my broken wings.  The Mr. Mister song from the 80's with similar title was even brought into the picture (no surprise, actually I would have been surprised more if I didn't reference the song...and disappointed quite frankly...)

The Halloween tweetup was very much fun, broken wings and all.  I met several new people.  I was able to talk to people I've met before but don't see very often...I was able to meet people that I should have met a long time ago due to our correspondences and the fact that I feel as if I know them very well already without having officially met.  So, very fun group and I'm glad I was able to go.  There was pizza, there was beer, and there was a cool announcement which sounds like it will involve Oh, Alchemy...which always brings a smile to my face.

So, going back in the week to Monday, I received an email about the School of Seven Bells CD coming in.  I ordered this CD several months ago and, at this point, I was certain Jared forgot about it and moved on to other things his life, however, not the case.  He told me band switched labels and a reprinting was happening.  He decided to wait on the order until the new label situation was taken care of and that is what was taking so long.  Regardless, I picked up "Alpinisms" on Monday afternoon and immediately fell in love with it.  SO, very good...the harmonies were gut wrenchingly beautiful and the music seemed like it was in total syncopation with the falling leaves and rushing Autumn winds.  Happy with this, I wanted to do more driving around just to provide more natural backdrop to such a lovely soundtrack.  More on School of Seven Bells, I wound up choosing the song "Windstorm" as Tuesday's anthem and ordering the new CD, by the same band, on Thursday.

Saturday was trick or treating night in uptown normal.  I indulged by attempting to dress up, again, minus the wings.  I met up with Rachel, however, and she was able to bring safety pins to help me fix them.  It was an easy interim fix but, it worked.  The wings stayed on.  I didn't wear the dress, due to the cold temperatures, but I was able to wear them again and this made me very happy.  Already thinking about next year's costume.  I have never been a zombie...hmmm

Happy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment