Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Post-Reaction-Comment Received-Reply to Reponse-Smiley Face-Done

Inspiration is very energizing... This is inspiring others and/or being inspired.  In some cases, I would go as far as saying being inspired by someone else's inspiration.

I woke up thinking: So, I have to write, sing, pick up the guitar or grocery shop today.  The reasons behind this all stem from being inspired.  The motivation and the uplift that helps me to write songs, dance in the kitchen, and let Yorkies chase me and nip at my heels.

Aimee let me know my post about cinnamon raisin English muffins and vanilla chai inspired her to make the same combination hers and then dedicated this morning's breakfast to me.  I can't say I've ever had someone dedicate his/her breakfast to me before...of course, very smiley and heartwarming.  I have so many food-related posts and though I am a journal junkie and foodie fan, it is lovely to see a similar happiness.

Maybe I'm wrong in assuming this about myself but I feel very motivated by the senses.  Perhaps because I am a musician or I could just be hyperactive...which I never completely rule out ever.  Seems like many factors contribute...including liking the things you like and basic DNA, which I adore using as the scapegoat.  The somewhat sad part is that this piece isn't often discovered until you grow up and find out.  So, basically, having the ability to wake up and be able to list the things I should do in order to make the day a good one, for example.  I think this is as, if not more important, as a career fair.

I used to spend time on a website called 42 Things.  I found this very motivating.  You made lists of goals and the goals could be as big or small as you'd like.  I would make lists of lists and, being a listmaker, found it very encouraging.  I found if I would write down my goal, for the world to see and receive "cheers" then I would more than likely be more apt to follow through.  The following through part being the most difficult.  I didn't outgrown 42 Things, I think I just moved on to other social media and became caught up in posting elsewhere.  My attention span, short...reinforcing the difficult nature of the 'follow through.'  Starting is really very fun and finishing is also pretty awesome but the middle part when you actually have to do things to accomplish what you need to accomplish...slightly more taxing.  I think that is why Facebook and Twitter have become so popular.  It is: Post-Reaction-Comment Received-Reply to Reponse-Smiley Face-Done..

Oooh back to inspiration... The love for food things has been a part of my life for a long time.  I grew up being the luckiest girl in the world with my dad making pancakes, see previous entry, and making lobster thermidor a New Year's Eve family tradition.  I didn't always know what cumin and corriander should be combined with but I knew how to pronounce them and I knew they were in my kitchen cabinets as a kid.  Preparing food and eating with my family was an event.  It wasn't a time when you ate to be sustained (well, once in a while maybe) but, for the most part...it was my dad starting on Sunday dinner at 1pm and everyone being at the table at 5pm to sit together, eat, laugh, and try something new that my dad has been working on because he was tired of making the same thing.  He bought corn, in season, from the roadside stand and included a vegetable with every dinner menu.  My parents had "appetizer dinner night" where my dad would make empanadas and crab rangoons...just changing the possibilities for what dinner can be.  My mom made the best chocolate chip cookies that existed.  The cookie jar was always full, or half full depending on how many friends my brother and I would happen to have over.  My mom made my birthday cakes (for as long as I would allow her to) and make homemade treats to bring into school for each and every holiday.  This was before Food Network.

So, the many things that motivate me.  I often wonder if, after my mom died, there are things about her that became more me...or if I have just held onto them.  One being her love of food, cooking, and talking about it. The same for my dad, as he is far away.  I have really fantastic memories of them and of being a family.  I feel fortunate, as well, when I think back about it.  I think, as a kid and growing up, you think that your story is everyone's story and this just isn't the case.  ...btw, I had Pop Tarts too.

No comments:

Post a Comment